Monday, November 28, 2011

The EU and the republic (or the lesser of two evils)

I had a conversation with an elderly street performer last weekend, he had quite the history; lifer in the army, member of sein fein, poet and in general he is a very wise man.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make, last time I spoke to him we spoke about the crisis in Ireland and Europe in general and what he said really hit me hard.
Biffo was the head of the most corrupt organisation in Ireland

"Europe has now become an empire," he said to me with quite a noticeable tone of biterness in his voice. "Europe like all empires is one of corrupt values and lax morals."

This stood me back a little but then I got to thinking what about our corrupt system at home, people like  Brian Cowen; a prime minister so uneducated and ignorant in the ways of political science that he turned up to a radio interview completely rat arsed drunk.

I also thought about how our current government seems willing to throw away any shred of economic sovereignty for the meagre price of euro-bailout funds.

This is not what the freedom fighters led by Collins and the "chief" fought and gave their lives for, to see the country they loved become the whipping boy for a whole fucking continent.

Now I'm not the most patriotic of people and let's face it here folks after the succession of two absolutely incompetent morons (one of whom lost his mother this week may the gods keep her well) I of course will use my right of freedom of expression to air my dissatisfaction with the way this country is being governed.


No comments:

Post a Comment